According to Black Diamond Equipment, the general guidelines for replacing slings on cams are as follows:
- With occasional use: slings should be replaced every 5-8 years.
- With frequent use: slings should be replaced in 2-5 years.
Note: This doesn't take into account abuse from sharp edges, UV exposure or chemicals. When in doubt, replace your slings!
In-store, Drop-off Cam Re-Slinging Service
For the first time in 20 years, this service is now available in Canada thanks to Dark Arts Splicing. We are helping to facilitate this as a community service, and as a way to prolong the life span of your cams, reducing your environmental footprint.
You can mail your cams directly to Dark Arts Splicing, or leave them with us to avoid the shipping charges.
We are offering an in-store drop-off point for this service, however, NO payment goes through the Climb On Equipment. Please follow the steps below:
- Head over to the Dark Arts website acnd click on Cam Slings.
- Download, print and complete the “Cam Form”.
- Select and Pay for Webbing type (10mm Dyneema or 18mm nylon), Loop type (open loop, reinforced loop, double extendable loop), and the number of cams that require re-slinging.
- Take the completed form and head to our store.
What happens after completing the steps above:
- We will check the form and place the cams in the Dark Arts drop box.
- Pick-up will be once per month (maybe twice in the summer, if busy).
- Expected return is approx. 1 month after pick-up. We will notify you when your cams have returned.
- Drop by the store for pick-up!